[Opensource] Using Ubuntu in School

Adam Barbary home at adambarbary.com
Mon Sep 3 20:48:44 EST 2007

I have been trying to put together a howto for using Ubuntu Linux in
school. I have been using it myself on my laptop for the last 12 months
at school and have managed to sort out a few common issues you may have
if you try to implement it yourself. With encouragement from Roland, I
have started a wiki at VITTA that you can access and edit at your
leisure. I'm hoping that people will be able to add all sorts of things
to the wiki and help create a valuable resource that will help teachers
implement a viable alternative to the dominant desktop system.

So far I have covered;
- Novel Shares
- Edumail LDAP and email
- Edupass Wifi (this I have linked to an Ubuntu list, as I did not
figure this out myself)

The kids at my school have had a go at installing Ubuntu and especially
love the cube desktop and window effects. It is also a buzz for them to
hook the system up to their home directory on the network. I would love
to see people contribute not just to the initial setup, but also a list
of educational activities using FOSS (in particular Ubuntu) would be
nice too.

http://www.vitta.org.au/wiki/Ubuntu_in_Schools

Cheers,

Adam Barbary