[Opensource] BBC Article - Schools warned off Microsoft

Jim Maunder techo at ruyton.vic.edu.au
Wed Oct 31 08:27:03 EST 2007

At 10:01 PM 30/10/2007, you wrote:
>Nice find Cameron,
>
>Pity that Victoria has just inked a contract for $24 Million with MS.
>Given that XP already does what schools need and alternatives are
>often free, makes you wonder why there is an upgrade deal at all.
>
>Problems with Office 2007 are already becoming apparent as students
>begin to submit work in the new proprietary formats.
>On 30/10/2007, at 8:58 PM, Cameron Bell wrote:
>
>>Schools warned off Microsoft
>>
>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7063716.stm
>>
>>Cheers
>>Cameron
>>Authority and
>>http://www.vitta.org.au  - VITTA Victorian Information Technology
>>Teachers Association Inc

In a couple of weeks we will have to decide what to put on the 100 or
so new laptops/tablets that will come into the school next year. I am
perfectly happy with XP and Office2003, but we are expected to go
with Vista and Office2007. I looked up how licensing works, and it
looks like we will have to set up a 'key management server' so that
the machines can authenticate every 180 days, and that makes the
'upgrade' a major PITA.

The Office2007 compatability problem is not too hard to fix - set all
the Office2007 machines you have to save in 2003 format, and install
the file format converter (fileformatconverter.exe) on the Office2003
machines. It just pains me that after 20 years of using the 'File
Edit Format Insert ... Help' toolbar that MS originally developed and
everyone else pretty much adopted, they have now dropped it for those
damned ribbons.

StarOffice looks more attractive every day. I'm sure we could change
over easily enough, but our kids would miss 'Publisher' and a few of
us would miss 'Access'. (Any volunteers to convert my code and macro
driven laptop database?)

Well, that's the early morning rant over.

rgds
Jim

We have to use this Disclaimer

This message, including any attachments, is provided without
responsibility in law for its accuracy or otherwise and without
assumption of a duty of care by the School. Whilst every attempt has
been made to ensure material in this email message is free from
computer viruses or other defects, the attached files are provided,
and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all
responsibility for use of the material transmitted. This email is
intended for the use of the named individual or entity and may
contain confidential and privileged information. Any dissemination,
distribution or copying by anyone other than the intended recipient
of this email is strictly prohibited. If this email has been
received in error, then please notify Ruyton Girls' School
immediately and destroy the original message.

Views, opinions, etc. expressed reflect those of the author and not
Ruyton Girls' School

Jim Maunder
Ruyton Girls School
Melbourne, Australia