[Opensource] BBC Article - Schools warned off Microsoft

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 01:24:39 EST 2007

Schools can easily run both Office2007 and StarOffice on the same computer.
No big deal, just let MS Office handle MS Document .DOC file extensions and
OpenOffice the open document .ODT type extensions. Each to his own. .. we
even tweak the start menu shortcuts on our base image so that the OpenSource
desktop application Scribus sits in the same folder as OpenOffice, rather
like how we put Publisher in with MS Office.

We have been doing this for years without a hickup. The resources consumed
by this is minimal and it was dead wasy to setup. It will not make your
school milk go off, and it certainly will not break your computer!

Regards Roland

PS: As a rule, we generally avoid any MS software version that ends in dot
zero. No plans to migrate to Vista for at least the next few years.

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au