[Offtopic] Ipads

Tim Kitchen tkitchen at strathcona.vic.edu.au
Wed Mar 2 16:10:50 EST 2011

We did a trial of Netbooks last year and found that they were very slow to boot up and didn't handle high-end software (Adobe Creative Suite) very well. The screens were hard to see and the keyboard a bit too small and our staff and students tended to avoid using them.

Our staff laptops were up for their 3 year change over at the end of 2010 so after much thought, we gave them all a MacBook with virtualised Windows. A few teething issues but it is great to see staff who have never touched a Mac now using iMovie, GarageBand and PhotoBooth to enhance their teaching after only a few weeks. The way the staff take up this big change will determine how far we head with the iPad or equivalent in the future. I'm getting daily requests from students asking when iPads are going to be throughout the School.

In relation to a mix of devices, I think school networks need to cater for a wide range of OS and devices to best prepare students for the wider world. School network administrators who can only cope with the one type of platform are not doing their students or staff any favours. It is a big wide world out there. A large percentage of our students leave Strathcona and go into Creative Industries courses and jobs that are predominately based on Apple Mac hardware & software. If we didn't offer both Mac & Windows environments for our students and staff we would not be preparing them as well as we could be.

Keep up the great discussions

Ta

Tim

Dr Tim Kitchen