[Offtopic] Re: Dell to offer Ubuntu

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Thu May 3 15:39:06 EST 2007

Hi Roland and all,

Yes, it looks as if Dell are indeed taking Linux seriously, being the
first major PC brand to offer open source pre-installed. It appears as
if the Japanese are also taking Linux seriously:

"Japanese schools may convert aging PCs to Linux"
<http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/showclips.cfm?clipid=2319>

OhmyNews reports that Japan's Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry
plans to introduce the open-source operating system Linux for use within
classrooms across the nation in the near future.

According to an investigation, currently there are over 400,000 computers
as schools across Japan running either Windows 98 or Windows ME--
operating systems no longer supported by Microsoft. Because of the
prohibitive cost of replacing the machines, as well as the cost of
necessary proprietary software, school teachers and administrators are
proposing the more affordable alternative of shifting from Windows to
open-source software...