[Moodle] wanted Ubuntu experts

Arnott, Suzanne S arnott.suzanne.s at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Feb 20 10:01:55 EST 2009

OK... first things first :)

it's an R52 IBM notebook, bought back when I got my new LenovoR61
The R52 was "sanitised" and returned with windows XP on it. The XP version was not supported anymore, and at last word there is a new version being issued to techs for purchased notebooks - I wasn't the only one it didn't work for.

I downloaded and burned UBUNTU onto a CD using my new lenovo last Thursday, so it is the latest version 8.10, following all of the detailed instructions from the ubuntu site. It went on OK, and everything else is working. Windows XP is no longer on the notebook, but I will get it put back on if I have to next week.
The modem is pretty old, but it functions with my lenovo, and I did the cable check thing going from one to the other rebooting etc, as I know it can be dodgy sometimes. It does show all the wireless networks around the place (at home) so I may just have to get a wireless modem, which I was planning to do anyway.
It shows the connection as eth0, tries to connect and disconnects.

Donna, the timing is not good for me, as I have Miss 9's birthday on the weekend :)

Thanks everyone for the support, and I will have more of a play over the weekend :)
cheers
Suz