[Moodle] How do I back up my moodle?

Laurie Savage sav at pvgc.vic.edu.au
Fri Jan 25 15:40:32 EST 2008

Suzanne,

I would suggest that you open the config.php file in the root of
your old moodle installation and note down the location of your
data directory, name, username and password of your database.

Backup everything - new and old installations! (I normally copy the folders to a backup
folder or onto a CD)

Copy the original  config.php into the root of the new
installation.

Copy the moodle data folder to the new server making sure it has
the same path.

Use whatever techniques you use to backup your original database
and restore it to the new server.

(From memory, in Linux/MySQL Land, you would issue these commands at a terminal,
-p prompts for the mysql password:

1. 	Dump the database into a plain text sql file.

	oldmachine> mysqldump -u <user> -p <database_name> > backup_file.sql

2. 	Create a new Moodle database on the new machine and grant the
   	user named in config.php all rights to the database

   	newmachine> mysql -u root -p
   	 mysql# create database <name>;
   	 mysql# quit

3. 	Populate the database by running the SQL file on the newly
   	created database.

	 newmachine> mysql -u root -p <database> < /path_to/backup_file.sql
	-- don't forget the less than sign "<" that pipes the sql
	file to the database.
)

Cheers,

Laurie