[Moodle] How do I back up my moodle?

Stephen Digby digby.stephen.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Jan 25 12:19:36 EST 2008

As far as I know moodle backup backs up individual courses ONLY.
I have once restored a  moodle server by restoring individual courses in the
same order as they were created (so that the course ID numbers which are
used in any fixed links between course content are still retained).
To do this I had to create many temp courses to force the course counter to
get to the desired course number before doing the restore.

If possible, in Site admin - courses- backups) set your backup location for
all courses to a specific server folder (otherwise the default leaves them
in the individual course file area).  Then set a backup time to be in a few
minutes and check that all courses have been backed up.

I have done the above, but there could (should ?) be better ways to backup a
complete moodle system.

My courses are too big to backup now (100Gb +++) so I rely on server RAID
systems and server backups.....

Stephen Digby, Learning Technology Manager
mailto: digby.stephen.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Cheltenham Secondary College www.cheltsec.vic.edu.au
Ph: 613 955 55 955  Fx: 9555 8617 Mb: 0431-701-028

It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.   Winston Churchill