[Moodle] moodle in ubuntu 7.04

Laurie Savage sav at pvgc.vic.edu.au
Fri May 25 11:41:35 EST 2007

Hi Andrew,

Using ssh to connect to the server I do the following:

* copy the Moodle folder to /usr/share/moodle, and

* create a moodle.conf in /etc/apache2/conf.d that points to
the moodle folder - it's listed below.

* my MoodleData folder is in /var/lib/moodle/data and has permissions 755,
owner www-data.

* create a database and user - I use mysql, so (assuming you have a root
mysql user with a password) Create the database and give the user some
permissions:

1. mysqladmin -u root -p create moodledb
2. mysql -u root -p
	grant all on moodledb.* to 'moodleuser'@'localhost' identified
by 'mysecretpassword';
	flush privileges;
	\q
3. restart apache (apache2ctl restart or /etc/init.dapache2 restart)
4. Point your browser to moodle

If this doesn't take, try rebooting the server.

(ASIDE: I find the mc command line file manager invaluable for opening
zip/tar.gz files and copying/moving their contents F9 gives menus,
F10 closes, Ctrl-T tags. Think the old Norton Commander or XTree Gold)

Moodle.conf file follows
Alias /moodle /usr/share/moodle/

<DirectoryMatch /usr/share/moodle/>

Options +FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None

order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0
# allow from all

<IfModule mod_php4.c>
        php_flag magic_quotes_gpc On
        php_flag magic_quotes_runtime Off
        php_flag file_uploads On
        php_flag short_open_tag On
        php_flag session.auto_start Off
        php_flag session.bug_compat_warn Off

        php_value upload_max_filesize 2M
        php_value post_max_size 2M
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_php5.c>
        php_flag magic_quotes_gpc On
        php_flag magic_quotes_runtime Off
        php_flag file_uploads On
        php_flag short_open_tag On
        php_flag session.auto_start Off
        php_flag session.bug_compat_warn Off

        php_value upload_max_filesize 2M
        php_value post_max_size 2M
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_dir.c>
        DirectoryIndex index.php
</IfModule>

</DirectoryMatch>

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 08:45:11AM +1000, WEIR Andrew mentioned:
--
Laurie Savage