[Moodle] Moodle award

Henry Johnson h.johnson at yavneh.vic.edu.au
Mon Aug 20 08:56:28 EST 2007

Hmm. A simple solution would be to have the moodle server mount the windows file share via samba. Putting  samba file shares on an Apache server may have some security implications I am unaware of, but Apache can be tweaked in a number of ways to compensate (it would be site specific).  That way the moodle server is doing the web publishing, not your workstation ( a big no-no in your average security practices, but then you do have a good firewall, IDS, logging and all that other stuff set up, right?)  In effect, you are punching a hole thru your school's firewall.  You could even run a script on the moodle server that would "sync" your MyFolder with a directory that the moodle server can publish, thereby bypassing many security issues.

Henry Johnson
Moodle Administrator
Yavneh College
http://moodle.yavneh.vic.edu.au
>>> OH.A at wcc.vic.edu.au 08/17/07 12:16 PM >>>
Ahem, I don't want to sidetrack the discusion about the Ultranet, but
does anyone know if there is a way around this scenario:

- The moodle server is inhouse
- I have a Windows file server containing a folder called "MyFolder"
that I did a webshare on. Ths folder has pictures, etc that
teachers want students to access/view
- in moodle, I used "Link to a file or website" to link to "MyFolder"
- all works well....inhouse.
- when logged in to moodle from home, the MyFolder link fails.

I could upload whats in MyFolder into moodle however, I can't be sure if
I can rely on the teachers to maintain the files that have finished
with, ie they may not clear out the old stuff from moodle and it grows
insize unnecessarily.

I would appreciate any solution or alternative methods.

Thanks
aLAn

DISCLAIMER:  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete it immediately and notify the system administrator on postmaster at wcc.vic.edu.au.

WARNING: Although the college has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the college cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.