[Year 12 IT Apps] [OT] VPS hosting help needed

Mark mark at vceit.com
Wed Mar 2 17:30:57 AEDT 2016

OFFTOPIC - apologies to Kevork if there are more than a few replies.

Hi, data distributors

I am investigating moving vceit.com from a shared hosting plan at
surpasshosting.com to a VPS (Virtual Private Server) plan for greater speed
(SSD storage!) and site control.

vceit.com currently uses an ancient and very cheap
legacy shared-server hosting plan that my host has not changed for a
decade.
It expires relatively soon, and I'm not sure if my host's amnesic
continuation of the legacy plan will continue.
Their current comparable plans are more expensive and offer fewer features.
So much for Moore's law.

The problem in migrating to a VPS is that my hosting charges would rise
between 200% and 600%, which now matters because I have no income.

If anyone has recommendations about good VPS hosts, I'd appreciate hearing
about them. It doesn't matter if they are local or foreign.

As a shopping guide, I need at least 30GB storage, and bandwidth of at
least 200GB per month.
And I'd strongly prefer having cPanel, and managed updates of core software
and security. I have lots of time, but still not enough to patch Apache
daily.

DreamHost's cheapest VPS is looking good at $US15 a month, but I'm still
looking for the sting in the tail because other hosts ask $45 for similar
features.

I can manage going up to $15-$20 a month (especially if I get any
contributions - thanks to those who have chipped in already*), but I can't
go to $45 a month.

Cheers
Mark

*Including the chap who contributed exactly $0.56.
I'm still trying to work out the algorithm by which that sum was
calculated.

mark at vceit.com
http://vceit.com