[Year 12 IT Apps] IT Exam - Initial thoughts

ATKINSON-BUCK, Damien Damien.ATKINSON-BUCK at ivanhoe.com.au
Thu Nov 12 17:04:59 AEDT 2015

I’ll stick my head up for first shot

My initial thoughts are it was quite a good exam.
I have a couple of queries though.

MC Q5
Sammy Real Estate has offices in 10 suburbs and 15 country towns. Its staff  need to send videos of properties and customers financial details between offices.
The most secure technology for protecting the companies network would be.

A.    Wireless and file encryption

B.    Fibre optic cable and file encryption

C.    Wireless and a website with a closed section

D.    Coaxial cable and a website with a closed section

So in my humble opinion, this is a dodgy question because none of the options actually are securing their network.
Because of the bit about the videos and financial details, I assume they are trying to ask something like “The most secure technology for staff to efficiently share files would be” therefore the answer would be B.
However, that is not going to allow them to transfer files between all of the offices, it’s going to need to go onto the Internet at some point. So coaxial cable inside the offices is going to be slow, but a bit more secure than wireless (they haven’t said the wireless is secured) and a website closed with a closed section is going to allow the financials to be transferred…… but again, is doesn’t secure the network.

I could be reading a bit much into it, but at this stage, I don’t like any answer.

My other query is Short Answer 11b
Describe an electronic validation technique that could be used to ensure that a mobile phone number has the correct number of digits. Justify your answer.
My initial thought would be Input mask, however, I’ve had a couple of students that used the logic from the SoftDev part of the study design “validation techniques, including existence checking, range checking and type checking” to limit what they define as validation techniques. Therefore, they’ve worked on the theory of getting the String Length of the phone number and using a range check on that to keep it to 10 digits. I don’t think it’s the best answer, but would it still be valid?

These are just my initial thoughts, I’ll stick it under the pillow tonight and absorb the rest while I sleep (that’s a great study technique I’m told). Very happy to have these thoughts (and anything else) discussed and/or refuted

Cheers
Damien

Damien Atkinson-Buck
Head of Learning Area: Technology/Arts
<http://>

[http://www.ivanhoe.com.au]<http://www.ivanhoe.com.au/>

The Ridgeway, Ivanhoe VIC 3079 Australia

p. +61 3 9490 3848

e. damien.atkinson-buck at ivanhoe.com.au

w. www.ivanhoe.com.au<http://www.ivanhoe.com.au>