[Year 12 IT Apps] A research question...

Lewis, Jane L lewis.jane.l at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu May 28 10:14:16 AEST 2015

Hello,

A fellow lurker, but keen observer. I have taught IT in various forms since the days of typing and information processing. What I have noticed is that the growth of ‘sexy’ subjects like Psychology, Outdoor Ed, Health & Human Development, VET etc has taken away many who would traditionally choose this subject. The junior IT subjects offered in schools is usually an allotment filler (if offered anymore) and thus people who are uninterested  and unqualified have allowed the subject to decline into Kahootz worlds. The interest in wanting to learn how to use applications has waned and the general skill level (if my students are any indication) has declined so much that if a subject appears difficult (to the slacker crowd), it will not be selected. The boys who do choose it love devices and their games (playing them, of course) but have little to no inclination in learning the features and fundamentals of applications.

The problem is exacerbated by students coming in with only ipad experience, a significant candy-crush/phone/Facebook/YouTube/Instagram/Snapchat/overnight gaming session/’next new game’ addiction. Any subject would have difficulties attracting students with such high expectations of life! The IT of 1990-2000 was new and different and thus it was easier to attract students. Engaging students many years ago was much easier because high schools had computers – this differentiated us from Primary and home.

Jane