[Year 12 IT Apps] Transmission speeds

Mark mark at vceit.com
Mon Mar 16 13:42:13 EST 2015

Thanks, Ken.

I've just finished reading an autobio of Google employee #58, who recalled
the infinite bandwidth superiority of a carload of hard disks compared with
any other medium of the day.
Maybe fibre optic cable (FOC) is catching up.

1Pb would equal about twenty 6TB hard disks. (I think 6TB is about the
biggest current hard disk capacity.)
At about 650g each, 1 second of FOC bandwidth on 20 big disks would weigh
about 13kg.
A carload (four fat men with suitcases) would be about 600kg - so a car
could carry maybe 46 seconds of FOC data transmission.
Forty-six seconds would probably get the car of fat men to the end of the
driveway.
Over 52km at 100kmh, the car would take at least 30 minutes to reach its
destination, by which time the FOC could have delivered 36,000 disks.

That's 643 GMockB (gigamockingbirds)!

Now I start wondering how long it would take European (or African) swallows
to convey 643 GMockB of data...
I sense a thesis coming on. Or at least a best-selling children's book.

Cheers
Mark

On 16 March 2015 at 13:03, ken price <kenjprice at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Mark
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci2bFFGM8T8
>
> Hungry Beast tested three methods of data transmission from a NSW town
> into Sydney (700MB of Marx Bros comedy Duck Soup):
>

>    - broadband
>    - car
>    - carrier pigeon
>

> Apart from one f-word it's good student viewing.
>
> Pigeon won, easily. Mockingbird and Duck unavailable for comment.
>

> See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers
> kp
>

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 12:50 PM, Mark <mark at vceit.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, holiday-anticipators.
>>
>> While researching network communication speeds (for a children's book I'm
>> writing) I discovered a fascinating nugget of knowledge.
>>
>> In 2012 a record speed was set for bandwidth over a twelve-fibre optic
>> cable: 1.05 Petabits per second over 52 km.
>>
>> My arithmetic has never been great, but I calculated that it equates to
>> 122,245 high definition movies (1GB each) per second. One second's
>> transmission over that cable would take about 14 years nonstop viewing to
>> watch.
>>
>> This compares to CAT6 cable's 1Gbps, which equates to about 190 copies of
>> "To Kill A Mockingbird" per second.
>>
>> I've written to the IEEE proposing the Mockingbird as a new unit of
>> bandwidth. I have not heard back from them yet, but I'm quietly hopeful.
>>
>> BTW, did you know Harper Lee is publishing the sequel to TKAM this year? "Go
>> Set A Watchman
>> <http://www.amazon.com/Go-Set-Watchman-Harper-Lee/dp/0062409859/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426470123&sr=8-1&keywords=go+set+a+watchman>"
>> is due for release in 4 months.
>>
>> --
>>
>> *"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and
>> he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett*
>>
>> Mark Kelly
>> mark AT vceit DOT com
>> http://vceit.com

> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority <br>
> Teachers Association Inc <br>

Pedantic?* Whom, I??*

Mark Kelly
mark AT vceit DOT com