[Year 12 IT Apps] User guide/documentation for U401 advice

Mark mark at vceit.com
Wed Jul 22 14:15:16 AEST 2015

Hi George

The relevant key skills for ITA U4O1 is "use web authoring or *multimedia*
authoring software to create onscreen user documentation".

Interactivity does not seem to be a criterion. *Multimedia* is.
The question is whether a PDF can be called 'multimedia'.
Strictly speaking, it *can* contain text and images, so it's *minimally*
multimedia. But I'd suggest it is stretching the definition of 'multimedia'
until it squeals...

I've argued in the past that MS Powerpoint is a valid multimedia authoring
tool, and Paula wasn't even too sure about *that*.
But I think she now accepts Powerpoint can create true
multimedia/multimodal (for 2016) presentations.

I'd be uneasy about hoping that a PDF qualifies as 'multimedia'. Does it do
video/animation of any variety?  Audio/music?
I've always treated PDF as a format that is really designed for printing,
not primarily for onscreen presentation.

Another 2 cents foolishly frittered away.

Mark

On 22 July 2015 at 13:53, Ciotti, George W <
ciotti.george.w at edumail.vic.gov.au> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  I am looking to get my students to use InDesign to construct the
> Documentation component of the 401 SAC. It will be turned into a pdf and
> will demonstrate some interactivity. Before going down this route, I was
> wondering whether this satisfies the requirements for this component. I
> think I remember reading that PDFs do not meet requirements because they
> lack typical online features. Which of course is not true. It certainly
> falls in the multimedia, interactive and useable online criteria.
>
>  Thanks in advance
>
>  George
>
>   UHS Website Manager
> IT/Arts/Design/Tech Domain
> University High School
> 77 Story St
> Parkville 3052
> *mobile: 0412 934 782*
> phone: 9347 2022

> and not necessarily those of the Department of Education and Training.

> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority <br>
> Teachers Association Inc <br>

>> Witty sig goes HERE <<

Mark Kelly

http://vceit.com