[Year 12 IT Apps] Free software alternatives

Mark mark at vceit.com
Tue Feb 17 16:52:59 EST 2015

Pick any commercial software and you'll probably find legal, free
alternatives at

- alternativeto.net.
- ninite.com - free, easy downloads of the latest versions of alternative
software with no spyware or toolbars.
- sourceforge.net - a great place to start searching for open-source
alternatives

My favourites (most are available from ninite.com) are :

- *VLC media player* - you'd be mad to use anything else. Mad, I tell you!
Uninstall Windows Media Player NOW!
- *XnView* - a nice image viewer/batch editor (like *Irfanview *but I cheer
for the underdog)
- *Greenshot* - gives lovely power over screenshots for user documentation
- *PDF creator* - whew. No more Adobe bloatware!
- *qBittorrent* - finally, an end to the horror that uTorrent became after
version 3.00.
- *FileZilla* - fantastic free FTP
- *Notepad ++ *to replace Notepad. Let's face it: a dead cat could replace
Notepad.
- *ImgBurn* - burn CD/DVD/Blu-ray disks as files or ISO images
- *TightVNC* - remotely control or monitor a computer (e.g. media server,
torrent box, kid's computer) on your home network. No KVM switch box or
duplicate monitor / keyboard / mouse / physical presence are needed.
- *Teracopy* - superbly replaces the standard Windows copy service. Smart,
fast, lets you stack up batches of jobs.
- *Revo uninstaller - *finds the little messy files that Windows uninstall
leaves lying around.
- *Classic Start* - returns the START button to Windows 8. I'd die without
it. Tiles?  Grrrr!
- *Microsoft Security Essentials* - I abjure commercial antivirus. This has
never failed me.
- *Freecommander* - dare I say, the best file manager on the planet? If it
can't do what you want, you want something *really* stupid.

Other folk might have different favourites.

--

*Like a fluffy warm pillow pressed over your face, love is soft and playful
- at the start.*

Mark Kelly
mark AT vceit DOT com
http://vceit.com