[Year 12 IT Apps] Data security

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 14:49:39 AEST 2015

During 2008, I briefly amused myself with a price-checking terminal in a popular department store in the States whilst my wife was happily buying jeans that were on sale. Lacking a smart phone, I poked around the various menu option, the application halted and suddenly crashed. I suddenly found myself in a security hole where I could drop to a file explorer window. To my surprise, the device was running WIndows-Lite, a similarly primative OS. I could walk up and down the entire file tree, looking at the folder names. I could not see the contents but did have the odd privilege of making folders. From memory, I created a root level folder called “Please Secure Me”, took some souvenir photographs and departed when I was handed an armful of freshly purchased jeans.

I was trying to remember a remark that Harry Harrison once made about Stainless Steel Rats that live in technologically advanced civilisations.

—
Roland GESTHUIZEN
http://about.me/rgesthuizen