[Year 12 IT Apps] Google Sites.

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 12:26:04 EST 2014

Its a good question .. hand crafting static websites using a HTML template sits snugly between a CMS and cutting raw html code using notepad. Whilst I have enjoyed this assessment journey with dream weaver, it could be viewed as quaint and traditional if we continue down this path for much longer.

The DLTV website was built using the Drupal CMS and when I examine the VCAA list below, we faced some of these authoring challenges. Whilst I had nothing to do with the style sheet, and the navigation system was decided early on from what the CMS offered, you work with what you have(Metadata is a good reminder that I need to go back and check if I had put this in). If I wanted to reproduce this experience with some students, the closest may be to try to build a wiki for an online community. This puts the focus on planning, organisation, workflow, content, testing and user needs. Wikispaces and GoogleSites does this nicely and both have a record of changes log that can let me see the exact additions made with a security system to lock down the access. It may not be as elegant but it does tick all the boxes. Just a thought ..

I think Mark that you can put out a tender for migrating to a CMS, there are groups around overseas that you can now outsource this work for you. A colleague is looking for something similar to migrate an interactive subject association website from asp to Wordpress. If they do the bulk of the work, only the window dressing is left.

—
Roland GESTHUIZEN
http://about.me/rgesthuizen