[Year 12 IT Apps] Data type for postcode

jslynn at bigpond.com jslynn at bigpond.com
Tue May 28 09:14:54 EST 2013

Postcodes should be text. No arithmetical operations are performed on them and, as Andrew has pointed out, some overseas post codes include alpha characters as well (have a look at the UK for examples). The final clincher, for me, is postcodes with a leading '0' don't work as numbers - the leading '0' will be dropped as a number but not as text.

Sorting and filtering still work fine on text.

Jeff Lynn,
IT support,
Camberwell High School.