[Year 12 IT Apps] AUThENTICATION

Mark mark at vceit.com
Fri May 24 14:36:40 EST 2013

Hi Christopher.

This is a big can of worms with a sharp lid.  Even after taking heroic
measures, it is impossible to guarantee there will be no unfair advantages
taken by students.
Even if you cut off access to their normal network drives durings SACS, cut
off email, disable all messaging apps, glue up USB ports, confiscate
phones... there will be a dozen other new tricks you couldn't have
anticipated.

I watched their progress carefully in class, copied work-in-progress after
each work session (mainly of the untrustworthy kids) from their network
drives, and recorded who was sitting next to whom...  This is particularly
valuable since the kids who will cheat usually aren't clever enough to do
it in a sophisticated manner: they will simply copy their neighbour and
when their work is marked immediately after their neighbour's, similarities
become immediately obvious.

Most of all, I watch out for supernatural overnight improvements in
students' performance. If I see a 300% increase in output and quality, a
few well-placed questions such as "Why did you do this that way?" and "This
is an interesting technique... can you explain it to me?" usually sorts
things out pretty quickly.

And bluffing is always useful.  Remind the kids of magical network tools
that automatically detect changes to SAC files created outside of SAC
periods.  And simply looking at the time stamps of kids' SAC files is an
easy way to catch out kids who have not mastered the art of 'touching' file
timestamps.

And of course, the best source of info about cheating will always be the
good kids in the class who are really aggrieved that their honest efforts
are being eroded. They will often quickly let you know who is worthy of
suspicion.

Good luck.

Mark
Gentleman of Leisure.