[Year 12 IT Apps] Forthcoming queries

Andrew Shortell shortell at get2me.net
Mon Jul 8 17:35:02 EST 2013

Hi Robert

To me, after reading all the list emails, text is the only possible entry data type
Any text data can be converted to number if the programmer wants to do a spread / range check

When I wrote exams for Monash Uni and RMIT Uni I ensured that students understood that postcodes and phone numbers were text. This was over ten years ago.

I had just assumed that Paula had replied to Mark off list.....

If the exam does not treat postcodes and phone numbers as text then it needs to be fixed before the final print run in early August. It is an expensive exercise to reprint 1500 PAPER (droll emphasis on paper) exams

After all of the list discussion the only people who would be teaching postcodes as number would be those who don't read the lists.
I always use postcodes as the great example of things where one has to think carefully about what is actually done with the data .  This is why data dictionaries are so important (in hindsight)

Andrew

Andrew Shortell
Educator
CRC Melton