[Year 12 IT Apps] CDP - A different slant on backups (U4O2)

Mark mark at vceit.com
Thu Feb 28 13:28:41 EST 2013

While covering daily, weekly, incremental etc. you might want to introduce
kids to a newish alternative to traditional backups.  I used to call it
"trickle backups" but apparently it's called CDP (Continuous Data
Protection) wherein changed files are automatically and instantly backed up
to local or remote locations, including version control!

- Wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_data_protection
- One implementation is Crashplan... http://www.crashplan.com/

McKinnon SC implemented Crashplan in 2012 - and it's a thorough delight.
Users can restore files - even different versions of the same-named file -
themselves. All without having to ask the techs to load tapes etc.

Of course it does take a hefty amount of networked storage to cope with the
data, but to me it seems to be the way to go for corporations, and schools.

mark AT vceit DOT com
http://vceit.com