[Year 12 IT Apps] Mark Kelly's initial musings on the new study design

Mark mark at vceit.com
Fri Feb 8 09:36:09 EST 2013

Hi rb. I do take your point, but one could also argue that good dental
hygiene is important to IT professionals, but does that mean it has to be
taught in their IT course?  :-)

VCE IT courses have long been influenced by their primordial roots in
Accounting and business studies. Most of that mud has now gone due to
judicious study design revisions, but some - like the T/S/O decision key
knowledge - remains (and it's about as interesting as a boiled pig's snout.)

On 8 February 2013 07:58, rb <bouman.reinier.r at edumail.vic.gov.au> wrote:

> Thanks Mark for your comments. I like a lot of what you are
> saying/pleading for.
>
> However I disagree about;
>
> "- Let's also remove the business-management remnants like
> tactical/strategic/operational decision making. Like project management,
> they are only tangentially-relevant to IT."
>
> I think it is important that IT profs. have a fundamental working
> knowledge of business.
>
> All too often business decisions are made which are based on financial
> efficiency and not on technical effectiveness. An IT prof. who can make
> sound business based argument for technical effectiveness surely will
> reap financial benefits for that business.
>
> (eg: choosing the next round of replacement laptops in a school)
>
> Being involved with a large government organisation one may be able to
> see scenarios that have not played out like that because the black art
> of bean-countery has taken priority over technical effectiveness.
>
> I encourage all my IT students to also take a business subject.

mark AT vceit DOT com
http://vceit.com

*Important - *This email and attachments may or may not be confidential. If
received in error, please contact us and send us a really good joke. We get
lonely here, and no-one talks to us in the legal department. Before opening
or using attachments check them for viruses and defects: if either exists,
open them anyway; life is short, and they might be interesting. Regardless
of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the incompetence of
the sender or not, our liability is limited to sending you flowers or
chocolate. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the
individual sender, and not necessarily those of vceit.com.