[Year 12 IT Apps] RDBMS systems

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Jun 8 09:38:59 EST 2012

I use Filemaker, principally because I know it well and dread having to
master Access.

Filemaker has recently changed their education pricing, however, and it's
no longer $99 per concurrent user... it's some hideous price per computer,
whether it's in use or not.

Filemaker is easier to learn (IMO), but if I were you, I'd be going with
the RDBMS I know best. You'd do your kids a much bigger favour by being
skilled in the use of the product than by using a popular product you have
not mastered.

If you have no previous talents in that direction, I'd probably recommend
Access (for its support base and amount of teaching materials) or MySQL,
for its price and popularity.

kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au << use this, not Edumail please!
VCE IT Lecture Notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Edulist

--
An E-flat, a C, and a G go into a bar. The bartender says, "I'm sorry, but
I can't serve minors."