[Year 12 IT Apps] formulas for Access 2010 queries

Mike Brookes mikebr at tpg.com.au
Mon May 16 19:36:55 EST 2011

G'Day again
'Tis true that you shouldn't use a formula in a table, however you can
use calculated fields in an input form, query or report eg.
TotalCost:[Quantity]*[Price]
Your query could then select on TotalCost > SomeAmount to select records
eligible for a discount or somesuch.
Functions such as DateDiff, Like (including wild characters), DatePart,
Year, Month and Date are useful in selection criteria together with the
standard boolean operators.
I thought that the "Search Criteria" help was pretty straight forward
but if your little dears resist reading as much as mine did then copy
and paste the help and delete anything you don't think would be
appropriate. If one of the students wants to do a query which needs some
of the other examples you can always point them to the original help.

Mike