[Year 12 IT Apps] School Curriculum Restructur

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun May 1 21:20:50 EST 2011

There is a similar debate now rolling along about this topic on oz-teachers.
I guess that at this stage, the cohort of students we see at VCE enrolled in
our schools around 2005 and started schooling in the late 1990's. Yes, times
have changed but have have our learning goals and needs shifted?

If you have any passion and fire about the future of your subject area or
just some great ideas or thoughts, then download the position paper on the
new ACCE website then post your feedback online at this page. This is a
chance for us to contribute to a national voice about what we think is
important.
     http://acce.edu.au/nationalcurriculum

This paper discusses four key concerns ... and proposes and justifies a
> solution whereby ICT would be a learning area in its own right, either
> within the framework of the Technologies or as a new learning area.
> Structurally this learning area would document the student learning
> expectations and standards for ICT as a GC as well as a discipline.

Regards Roland

On 29 April 2011 14:22, Colin SUTTON <oz.sutton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I started a similar thread on this a couple of years ago and the split was
> roughly 50/50 on schools who did/did not have ICT as a CORE subject. There
> are ICT electives at Yr 8 - 10. Some students come to Monty with good skills
> and others don't - usually based on the feeder school.
>
> I'm at a school that has NO core at Year 7 and so students can go through
> their WHOLE high school life without doing ANY ICT with an "expert". I think
> may parents (and teachers) would be worried if students went through their
> whole school life without doing food or science or maths or materials or
> history or ... without an expert teacher, it just got taught as part of the
> "curriculum" by teachers who felt like it and got around to it and felt
> comfortable teaching it.
>
> I had a small but difficult Yr 10 semester unit last year. When the VB
> software wasn't loaded on the system unexpectedly, I thought on my feet and
> trotted out "spreadsheets" as a topic. I was AMAZED many said "This is the
> FIRST time we'd done these"!!
>
> I'm sure this new thread will spark a lot of debate!
>
> Regards
>
> COLIN SUTTON
> (IT Monty SC on LSL pending retirement)

-- Roland Gesthuizen - eLearning Coordinator - Keysborough Secondary College

Roland Gesthuizen - eLearning Coordinator - Keysborough Secondary College