[Year 12 IT Apps] SCIS for Shopping

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 15:03:25 EST 2011

Hi Roland,

The most common retail barcode system is UPC.

Details on how to decode it :http://www.adams1.com/upccode.html

And from http://www.adams1.com/faq.html#upclist "

"There is now a complete, free on-line database that allows anyone to type
in a UPC or EAN number and get the company name and address for the product.
It is a project developed by GS1 <http://www.gs1.org/> and is called
GEPIR<http://www.gepir.org/>.
The number contained in the UPC or EAN barcode is now called the Global
Trade Item Number or GTIN. You can go directly to the UPC and EAN search
page by clicking here <http://gepir.gs1.org/V31/xx/gtin.aspx?Lang=en-US>.
Please note that sometimes GEPIR is down. If you get a "page not available",
try later or try the mirror
site<http://www.ucc-gepir.org/GEPIR_UCCNET/jsp/client.jsp>.
Currently, the database contains some product descriptions. Searchin "trade
item ownership" will returns the company name and address. Some records may
contain the telephone number of the company. The web service is based on
XML, so it is possible to integrate an application program with this
database. That means that it will be possible for a small store to scan the
barcode on a product, access GEPIR over the internet, and download product
and manufacturer information over the internet to build a local database of
products in the store for free. GEPIR is under continuous development and
will soon also provide product images, dimensions, carton sizes, tracking
and tracing data. This database is open to consumers as well as companies
(unlike UCCNet, a project of the GS1-US).

There are other sources available too. There is a new resource for searching
EAN barcode numbers at www.ean-search.org. <http://www.ean-search.org/> You
can search for EAN codes or browse through the database of over 500.000
EANs. There is a site which provides product descriptions. It's called
the Universal
Product Code Database <http://www.upcdatabase.com/>, an on-line database for
Universal Product Codes (UPC). The UPC Database
Project<http://www.schworak.com/upc/>is another public UPC database
from Glenn J. Schworak. The site also has
links to other UPC databases. Swiss companies and EAN/UPC codes can be
looked up at EAN Switzerland <http://www.ean.ch/gepir/client_d.asp>."
I was shown this by a student in the UK who had been involved in a
scam of editing barcodes so expensive products scanned as cheaper ones. If
only he'd used his skills for doing goood instead of evil.

Cheers
Ken

Ken Price
Coordinator (Online Services)
Tasmanian eSchool
Department of Education Tasmania

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Roland Gesthuizen <rgesthuizen at gmail.com>wrote:

> Bit unfair about the GST component, cash only too I notice.
>
> Seriously though, is there some kind of mega shopping database where
> shop keepers can look up bar-codes or do they have to manually type in
> all their product information .. say something like the SCIS database
> enjoyed by librarians?
>     http://www2.curriculum.edu.au/scis/scisweb.html
>
> Regards Roland
>
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Mark KELLY <kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au>
> wrote:
> > For those who still want to get a wife, I found a good deal at Target.
> >
> > http://www.oddee.com/_media/imgs/articles2/a97485_r4.jpg
> >
> > I wonder what the warranty terms are...
> >
> > <end of thread>

> Roland Gesthuizen - eLearning Coordinator - Keysborough Secondary College

> change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
> --Margaret Mead

Dr Ken Price MACS ACCE Professional Associate.
President, TASITE