[Year 12 IT Apps] Fwd: Random browser statistics

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 21:59:13 EST 2011

I wonder if the autoupdate by default feature of Firefox is a credit. I also
suspect that the MSIE 7 and 6 users are either locked into an old SOE, just
don't know any better.  Margaret, here is a superb visualization you may be
looking for. Can anybody spot the unintended irony with Firefox? (compare
with logo)
    http://www.michaelvandaniker.com/labs/browserVisualization

Last year we co-installed our curriculum machines with a couple of browser
versions (MSIE, Firefox, Safari from memory ..) Really, it wasn't all that
big a deal once I worked it out with the techs and we didnt burn in hell. We
didn't burn in hell and I gave up being the browser dictator. It let me test
out some Firefox addons that I used with my ITA class. Staff or Student
users can jump into the pool dressed however they wish (within reason).

My son's school mandates a browser flavour (and version) to view the school
Intranet from home and I enjoyed the hour-long home challenge of making it
work on his Ubuntu computer, another parent might not have been so patient.
(BTW folks, HTML 5 has killed off frames and some goofy layer powered menus
so move on. There is NO excuse to at the very least not design these for
crossplatform browser compatibility as even my new school has done.)

Regards Roland

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 9:26 PM, Mark KELLY <kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au>wrote:

> Hi all.  Without trying to make these figures sound at all significant,
> these are the browsers that have been accessing one of my domains in the
> last month.
> It's not the sort of domain that attracts *really* technologically-savvy
> visitors, let us say.
> If nothing else it goes to show there are some dinosaur-browser users out
> there, and that MSIE 6 is not as prevalent as I thought it was...
>
> And c'mon Firefox!
>
>   *MSIE* * * *42.80%*
> Msie 9.0 0.20%
> Msie 8.0 30.10%
> Msie 7.0 8.30%
> Msie 6.0 4%  *
> FIREFOX* * * *28.90%*
> Firefox 4.0 0.40%
> Firefox 3.6.13 22.50%
> Firefox 3.6.10 0.20%
> Firefox 3.6.8 0.10%
> Firefox 3.6.3 0.50%
> Firefox 3.6 0.30%
> Firefox 3.5.16 2.10%
> Firefox 3.5.8 0.10%
> Firefox 3.5.7 0.50%
> Firefox 3.0.19 0.50%
> Firefox 3.0.12 0.10%
> Firefox 2.0.0.20 0.30%
> Firefox 2.0.0.8 0.10%  *
> NETSCAPE* * * *0%*  *
> OPERA* * * *4.30%*
> Opera 9.80 3.80%
> Opera 9.64 0.30%  *
> SAFARI* * * *9.60%*
> Safari 5.0.3 4.10%
> Safari 5.0.2 2.20%
> Safari 5.0.1 0.20%
> Safari 4.1.3 0.20%
> Safari 4.1.2 0.10%
> Safari 4.0.5 0.70%
> Safari 4.0.4 0.40%
> Safari 4.0 0.20%
> Safari 3.1 0.80%  *
> CHROME* * * *11.30%*
> Chrome 10.0.628.0 0.20%
> Chrome 9.0.597.84 0.60%
> Chrome 9.0.597.83 0.10%
> Chrome 8.0.552.237 9.80%
> Chrome 8.0.552.224 0.10%  *
> Others* * * *2.80%*
> NetShow Player (media player) 1%
> Mozilla 0.80%
> Android browser (PDA/Phone browser) 0.20%
> Unknown 79
> BlackBerry (PDA/Phone browser) 0.10%
> IPhone (PDA/Phone browser) 0.10%
> Sony/Ericsson Browser (PDA/Phone browser) 0%
> SeaMonkey 0%
> LibWWW 0%
> WebTV browser 0%
> Flock 0%
> Nokia Browser (PDA/Phone browser) 0%
> QuickTime (media player) 0%
> Vodaphone browser (PDA/Phone browser) 0%
> Wget 2
> LG (PDA/Phone browser) 0%
> WinAmp (media player) 0%
> Xine, a free multimedia player (media player) 0%
> I-Mode phone (PDA/Phone browser) 0%
> Windows Media Player (media player) 0%
> Samsung (PDA/Phone browser) 0%
> UP.Browser (PDA/Phone browser) 0%

> ICT / Reporting / IT Learning Area Manager
>
> McKinnon Secondary College
> McKinnon Rd McKinnon 3204
> Victoria, Australia
> [...]

Roland Gesthuizen - eLearning Coordinator - Keysborough Secondary College