[Year 12 IT Apps] Spreadsheet vs Database for U4O1

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 22:27:05 EST 2011

Comments from my lot bordered on this is madness, spanned what language are
you speaking and occasionally crossed into a range of assorted mumbles. I
enjoyed freaking them out by swapping to the Access database SQL view
(approximating the real engine behind these beasts). I do have a backup
plan and must get around to exploring over the term break, Base in Libre
Office and FileMaker Pro.

I have to agree, spreadsheets may be database junk food but my students
seem to fatten up quicker on this diet. I want to give GoogleDoc
Spreadsheets a serious look over. The embedded scripts you can add look
really cool and it overcomes issues of version, platform and home access.
Anybody else considering this? There is a swag of training resources and I
am just working my way through the GoogleApp trainer course (free and
online)

http://edutraining.googleapps.com/Training-Home/module-4-docs/chapter-4

Regards Roland

On 5 December 2011 21:40, <geoffmoss37 at bigpond.com> wrote:

> Fully concur with you Mark, especially since we have many students doing
> Units 3&4 without Units 1&2 experience and many without any prior
> experience with spreadsheets or databases.
>
> Loath is not a strong enough word for their attitude towards databases,
> especially when they have to learn how to use the software as well, having
> not used the software beforehand.  Even the few who did have Units 1&2
> experience did not want to do databases for U4O1.
>
> At least with spreadsheets they can get a fairly quick response to their
> actions and errors are generally easier to remedy.
>
> Likewise, my students' results also reflected a better understanding of
> spreadsheets.
>
> Geoff Moss
> RMIT
>

> ---- Mark KELLY <kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au> wrote:
> > Hi Robert
> >
> > I don't use spreadsheets as databases... did I somehow suggest that?
> >
> > I've found the number of students having trouble with spreadsheets is
> > *way*less than those having dB trouble - and their marks for U4O1
> > compared to
> > U3O2 clearly reflect that.
> >
> > On 5 December 2011 15:14, Robert Hind <robert at yinnar.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Mark,
> > >
> > > I have never been in favour of using a spreadsheet as a database. So
> would
> > > really go for a RDBMS for U401 rather than spreadsheet software.
> Introduce
> > > the RDBMS in year 11 and progress from  there. Sure some students have
> > > problems with databases, but then the same students have trouble with
> > > spreadsheets :-)
> > >
> > > Robert Hind (Semi-retired) OOF, GOM, COF
> > > Ashwood and Traralgon
> > > robert at yinnar.com

Roland Gesthuizen - eLearning Coordinator - Keysborough Secondary College

change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret
Mead