[Year 12 IT Apps] Anyone using Ruby for IT at Year 12/11

Brett Groves groves.brett.g at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Dec 5 11:39:26 EST 2011

Yes we used Ruby and Shooes for the gui last year. Mixed results, much
slower for me to help students debug, generally easier for rapid
development but students would have universally preferred VbNet. The
most issues I found were around the lack of a really good gui generator,
basically Shooes sucks for anything but the simplest gui. On the plus
side if you use Netbeans as your IDE  it supports both Ruby and Rails
brilliantly, great to work with. A word of caution though the study
design specifically outlaws databases and insists on text base data
storage so Rails is of no use to you whatsoever. Cheers

Regards,
Brett Groves
ICT Manager
Croydon Secondary College