[Year 12 IT Apps] Database Software

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Dec 1 10:41:09 EST 2011

Hi James. I use Filemaker. I find it pretty easy to learn and use, and
there's a passionate support community. Scripting can be both very powerful
and simple. I use it to run our reporting system... it's load-tolerant and
easily networkable (even without using Filemaker Server). It's simple to
put databases online too.

With Filemaker Advanced you can create executable versions of the database
that can be distributed and run without users having to install Filemaker
itself.

Transitioning from Access will involve a few 'cultural' changes (e.g. the
concept of found and omitted records, calculated fields being defined along
with the other fields, layouts, portals to show related records from other
tables).

It's available on the Software 4 Education program (state govt schools) for
$99 per licence (and you only need to buy one licence for each concurrent
user, not one licence per PC installation.)

Oh, and it now does graphs.

Regards
Mark

kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
VCE IT Lecture Notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Edulist <http://www.edulists.com.au/>

Want a good time? Call 0112358. Ask for Mr Fibonacci.