[Year 12 IT Apps] VCE ITA Study Design U3O1

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Sep 17 08:52:53 EST 2010

G'day Joyce

Anything for ITA is going to be minimally technical.  Our cohort is not the
type to absorb much of the material that is more suitable for Software
Development students.

I'd recommend a rather shallow overview of web servers, cabling/wireless
internet links, server software, security measures, services they provide
etc.  Perhaps a quick tour of DNS, domain name registration would be handy.
Nothing too deep.

The study design does not suggest that deep technical understanding in such
areas is required, and for most of our clients it would be optimistic to
expect them to attain it.  ITA students are more training to be managers
rather than technicians.

2 cents.

On 16 September 2010 10:47, Joyce Tabone <jtabone at aitkencollege.edu.au>wrote:

>  Hi all,
>

> I am trying to get my head around key skills dot point “explain the
> technical requirements of the networks hosting the websites”.
>

> Do are students need to be able to demonstrate an understanding of:
>

> ·         The differences between static and dynamic IP addresses
>
> ·         Types of Web server software such as Apache and what they are
> capable of
>
> ·         Specifications of web servers
>
> ·         Domain name servers
>
> ·         Security issues to guard against hacking etc
>
> ·         Internet connection speed/bandwidth
>
> ·         Understanding ports, especially port 80
>
> ·         Anything else …..
>

> And to what extent do our students need to be able to understand and
> explain these technical requirements.
>

> Thanks for your feedback
>
> Joyce
>

> *Joyce Tabone*
>
> *Head of Faculty - ICT and Website Editor*
>
> *Aitken College*
>
> *1010 Mickleham Road*
>
> *Greenvale, VIC 3059*
>
> *Tel: (03) 9333 1866*
>
> *Fax:(03) 9333 4795*

Information Systems Manager; Reporting Manager
School Phone +613 8520 9000, Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
VCE IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

Korma: the philosophy that what you get out of a curry depends on what you
put into it.