[Year 12 IT Apps] McKinnon classes 2011

Kent Beveridge kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au
Fri Sep 10 10:13:48 EST 2010

Hey there Mark,
perhaps you can work on the 3d application of design(AutoCad and 'wireframe' design drawing tools?) to your paper aeroplanes and then discuss with the kiddies the intricies of trigonometric applications and differential/integral equations relating to aircraft design.(multiple integrals are used in creating mathematical modelling for wing and fuselage design..its actually quite fascinating!)

I too, have noticed an increased number of students starting to take on the programming side of things..albeit in relation to their home computer gaming environment...but they are still quite 'practised' in some elements of coding. My year 10 class doing the cert 2 in I.T. happen to also be avid online gamers at home and frequently do their own coding to enhance their gameplay..so naturally I encourage them to develop their skills. And yes, at times in class, we do rant on about gaming stuff(odd for me as I am not a gamer!).

So much so, that I have decided to get my skates on and tailor their studies next year around enhancing their coding skills and integrating this into the Cert3 they have chosen for 2011.
Strangely, I am actually excited myself as its trying something a bit different and out of my own personal comfort zone.

Whoever says we cant learn as teachers too, is kidding themselves! Looks like I might be seeing the start of a reinvention of myself?

Software Dev in 2012?  A strong possibility for this lot!  Oh, and my current 9's may follow a similar path I reckon..

KB.

Kent Beveridge
ICT Co-ordinator, St.Brigids CSC, HORSHAM,Vic,Aus.