[Year 12 IT Apps] Jailbreaking your iPhone and ripping DVDs: Both now perfectly legal

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Jul 29 14:55:07 EST 2010

Region encoding was never meant to protect IP from being copied.  It was
just a way for studios to control movie release dates.  It's wholly a
marketing manoeuvre.

The source of the info was the Australian copyright site...
http://www.copyright.org.au/information/cit005/cit073/wp0042/?searchterm=dvd%20regions

"In many cases, DVDs are region-coded for playing only in particular
countries or groups of countries. Teachers can nevertheless play the DVDs in
a  multi-region player, or re-set the region coding (we understand this can
sometimes be done via the remote control) or they may have the region-code
control in the DVD player modified so it plays DVDs from relevant regions. "

and

"The Copyright Act does not prohibit an educational institution purchasing a
DVD that is region-coded for regions other than Australia, provided it is
not a pirate DVD."

and on http://www.copyright.org.au/information/cit022/cit085/wp0072

"The provisions in the Copyright Act dealing with circumvention devices and
services don’t apply “to the extent that [a TPM] controls geographic market
segmentation”."

and finally

*"Can I use software to overcome the region coding on DVDs?*

Yes, provided you only bypass the region coding mechanism and not other
technological protection measures controlling access to the content. The
Copyright Act prohibits the circumvention of an "access-control
technological protection measure (ATPM)", *but a region coding device is not
an ATPM*."

(my italics)

On 29 July 2010 13:12, ken price <kenjprice at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Mark - what is the source of that information?
>
> I'm interested because (so far as I am aware, and according to the
> SmartCopying webste) it remains illegal to bypass the protection on many
> commercial DVDs.
>
> The reason given for it being illegal would seem to also apply to the
> region encoding. Different thing, but still a Technological Protection
> Measure I'd think.
>
> from http://www.smartcopying.edu.au/scw/go/pid/529 :
>
> *"SCHOOLS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO FORMAT SHIFT IF MAKING THE FORMAT SHIFT COPY
> CIRCUMVENTS AN ACCESS CONTROL TECHNOLOGICAL PROTECTION MEASURE* Most
> commercial DVDs are protected by an access control technological
> protection measure<http://www.smartcopying.edu.au/scw/Jahia/lang/en/scw/go/pid/902>(access control TPM). Schools are not permitted to circumvent this access
> control TPM<http://www.smartcopying.edu.au/scw/Jahia/lang/en/scw/go/pid/902>to make a format shift copy (eg, by using software such as deCSS or DVD
> Shrink)."
>

> Cheers, ken
>
> TASITE www.tasite.tas.edu.au
>

> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Mark KELLY <kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au>wrote:
>
>> On a similar note, you should know that DVD region encoding has no support
>> under copyright or any other law, and you are free to use any means to
>> circumvent region limitations imposed by movie distributors.

Manager - Information Systems; Reporting Manager
School Phone +613 8520 9000, Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

Author - VCE IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

Korma: the philosophy that what you get out of a curry depends on what you
put into it.