[Year 12 IT Apps] OT: Service Provider Changeover

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 17:53:46 EST 2010

Just a suggestion, when you whitelist a good education site, submit it the
entire Netspace ISP network and not just your own school campus so that
everybody benefits. If you are not sure how to do this, ask your tech or
drop Netspace a line.

Remember many years ago in the age of BG when Yahoo was a hand-compiled
index? I recall somebody saying over a beer that these lists are compiled by
two USA based groups (Florida / Utah) that have a rather interesting way of
viewing the web using a mix of robots (to score game / chat / gambling
sites) whilst others have to manually hunt for odd body parts amongst the
images. The thought was that ISPs and services such as
http://OpenDNS.orgpurchase these lists as nobody has the time to
systematically compile it
themselves. At least we are free to collectively whitelist the good stuff
that we run into.

Whilst it is easy to poke fun at Conroy, a rather scarey thought is who
compiled his black list and are they Australian? How do we reconcile and
recompense the long-term moral damage that just compiling the list will
inflict upon the censors? Lastly, does wearing special glasses with red and
blue filters really help?

Regards Roland