[Year 12 IT Apps] [OT] Are iPads 'computers'?

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 11:16:19 EST 2010

Thaks Andrew and Mark. We are one of the iPad schools and yes, they are a
consumer device but having said that .. these eBooks have a huge potential
to leverage change and most of the issues that you raise are solvable. Check
this OLPC XO3 video out about the open mode linux model due for release.
Don't hang around waiting for stuff to happen, you can get some learning
traction with this stuff now using Apple iPads.
     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILMzuS2qZfc

First thing is to get one for yourself and school administration team. Then
you will learn first hand what how where what etc. Don't skimp on the
docking station. It is also wise to consider kicking off with a class set
too. I hope to put something together to talk about these tablet computers
at the VITTA conference .. if nobody else is already (hint??). The EdTech
Crew have also been reviewing them in their podcasts. You can always return
it to the library for loans etc when you have had your fill of tablet
computing.

Like other schools, we are in the same boat .. holding over the residual
funds left from the NSSCP grant for further iPads instead of netbooks or
considering wider deployments across entire year levels. Kind of glad we
purchased Macbooks on trolleys with our first stage. I also have a good
contact we are working with called Mel Wilson who has a tonne of experience
(details above) who can answer some of your questions. I have had a few
"aha!" moments myself so feel free to call for an honest chat about where
this stuff fits in. I'll share my phone number off list. :-)

Regards Roland