[Year 12 IT Apps] Building the B12 spreadsheet

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 12 12:30:41 EST 2009

Hi all.  I'm bamboozled.  I'm trying to construct the spreadsheet
described in ITA exam B12.  My attempt so far is attached.

The stumbling block is the deliveryslip sheet. It's easy to populate the
customer fields with a series of VLOOKUPS.

The question is how does the sheet pull the nominated customer's items
from the deliverycosts sheet, and the corresponding weights?

The only way I can see is to put a stack of statements like:
=IF(id=deliverycost!A7,deliverycost!B7,"")

(Where 'id' is the name of the cell containing the customer ID on the
deliveryslip sheet.)

So, if the customer ID on the matching row on the deliverycost sheet
matches the ID on the deliveryslip, it returns the item name from the
deliverycost sheet.  Same routine for the item weights.

But, of course, for any item that is NOT bought by the selected customer
there is a blank line!  Hardly satisfactory.

And, of course, this only produces one customer at a time.  It can't
produce output "for each customer" as the question demands.

So is there anything like a multiple VLOOKUP that finds *all* matching
values in another table and returns them in an array?

I've been playing with Excel for some time now, and I've never heard of
such a thing.  I wonder what the kids suggested...

Over to you.

School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au