[Year 12 IT Apps] Short Answer Q9

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 12 09:05:18 EST 2009

I fear it's just another case of less-than-perfect wording.  They
probably should have said "displayed" rather than "returned" but I guess
they never thought that students could misinterpret it.

Besides, if they really meant 'returned' as in a function's return value
before it's displayed, they would be violating the ITA study design.
Only Software Development would cover that.

The only people who know how Excel internally represents text before
it's displayed are Microsoft programmers.

It would surely not be stored in RAM with ASCII double quotes fore and
aft. In my old days of assembly language, strings were stored as raw
(ASCII) bytes and interpreted as a string because the programmer knows
the data is meant to be a string.  And in C, strings are represented as
an array of ASCII bytes with a pointer to its starting point in RAM and
(as far as I remember) a zero byte terminator.

No double quotes.

As a wise man said: "If a string returns in the RAM, but no-one's
running a trace program, does it make double quotes?"