[Year 12 IT Apps] REVIEW OF VCE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY

Michael Torsello (Mr) michael at stmargarets.vic.edu.au
Wed Aug 19 12:52:21 EST 2009

My 2 cents:

Consider my situation - I work in a girl's school and haven't yet taught
the current Unit 1-2 study design. In the past 3 years, we haven't had
enough interested students to run a class. I have taught the current
U3-4 Applications once, in its first year, an obvious flow-on from the
previous version of U1-2.

Prior to this study design I taught IT at both Year 11 and 12 for every
year since its inception, often more than one class.

Don't tell me numbers aren't down!

I saw the writing on the wall about this time 4 years ago when the
current study design came out and decided to introduce Multimedia and
Programming units at Year 10.

We have no IT from 7 to 9 - it is integrated into the curriculum!

Both have been very successful, especially the multimedia unit but also
programming which is no mean feat in a girls school, running every year.

But almost none have continued into Year 11 because they are not
interested in databases or spreadsheets. When I explain that U1-2 has
only a little bit of multimedia or programming, that's the end of it. No
takers.

Students can follow their interests into Uni and we are missing out
because IT at VCE doesn't have to be a part of it.

I hate to suggest reverting to the past, but why can't we go back to
teacher selections of software from a VCAA list?

Teachers could select software that they think is important but
customised to their students.

BTW Will anyone do multimedia in U1 when web sites are prescribed in U3?

With thanks

Michael Torsello

Director of Computing

St Margaret's School, Berwick