[Year 12 IT Apps] REVIEW OF VCE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY, SUMMARY OF PROPOSED CHANGES TO THE STUDY DESIGN

Judee Hobbs forscutt.judee.k at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Aug 19 11:38:45 EST 2009

I agree totally.

Judee Forscutt-Hobbs

Lowanna College

From: itapps-bounces at edulists.com.au [mailto:itapps-bounces at edulists.com.au]
On Behalf Of Bane, Janet A
Sent: Tuesday, 18 August 2009 4:41 PM
To: Year 12 IT Applications Teachers' Mailing List
Subject: RE: [Year 12 IT Apps] REVIEW OF VCE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY,SUMMARY
OF PROPOSED CHANGES TO THE STUDY DESIGN

Robert, with all due respect, I think you're missing the point.  Our ITA
numbers are decreasing.  Whenever I start to go on about databases or
spreadsheets, their eyes start to glaze over.  Students start to nod off.
The occasional one has even fallen off their chair in a deep deep slumber.
They look at me pityingly when I say "its part of the study design, and we
have to do it".  Their response is its BORING!

So how will doing two database SACS, (worthy though they might be) help us
to attract numbers to our study?  One database SAC is enough (if it has to
stay at all). Lets offer a course that is a bit more interesting for the
kids (and one which they will hopefully enjoy and be attracted to because
its FUN).

I think the way to go is to include a task that will appeal more to their
creative side  - eg.a multimedia task (eg. using powerpoint, photo story,
movie maker, flash, kahootz, scratch  etc.) where they have to manipulate
picture and sound files (which IMHO have been sadly neglected and the kids
love playing with) to produce a product suitable for an audience.  It can
still be rigorous in terms of designing, producing (& testing) and
evaluating as well as following our  beloved "problem solving methodology".

What do others think???

regards

Janet Bane
Patterson River SC