[Year 12 IT Apps] Ipods phones and mobile device policies

murch at tpg.com.au murch at tpg.com.au
Thu Apr 23 08:10:57 EST 2009

Two years ago mobile phones, iPods were banned. Students in years 5-7 were not even allowed to
have email addresses. Now, there has been a complete turn around.
As our school has fully started to embrace technology and see the powerful learning outcomes that
the use of mobile technology and web2.0 can bring, students may now use mobile phones, iTouch,
iPods etc as long as that is acceptable by their classroom teacher and they abide by acceptable
digital citizenship type rules, classroom ethics etc and that they are used for educational uses.
In my classes, I find that their phone is a fabulous asset - it has a camera, video camera, an
organizer, calculator, time zone convertor, an audio recorder. We do not have to borrow
equipment as it is all there, in their pockets. They are learning appropriate use in an educational
setting. (I guess it helps that there is negligible or restricted mobile phone service in our area)
Anne Mirtschin
Hawkesdale P12 College