[Year 12 IT Apps] Static Web sites

Gavin Ballard gavin at vitta.org.au
Fri Apr 3 10:55:42 EST 2009

Roland and Ross -

While I wholeheartedly agree that CMSes such as Joomla and Drupal are very handy tools for rapidly developing powerful systems, I wouldn't go to the extreme of saying that tools such as Dreamweaver are going to be left for dead. (As a web developer, I must admit I left Frontpage for dead a long time ago. But that's me).

Firstly, there are many situations in which a CMS-style framework is inappropriate for a given task. Extremely simple web pages, unusual page layouts, and sites with extensive requirements above and beyond what can be provided with out-of-the box CMSes spring to mind. In these scenarios, having the knowledge to attack webpage design from the ground up may well be crucial to solve the problem - at the very least, it will make a developer aware of the options available to them and prevent a 'slap-a-CMS-together' mentality which can, from experience, lead to hour upon upon spent on customising layout templates, hacking away at plugin code, and wading through feature-dense administration screens to perform simple tasks. The ability to develop a website from scratch using rapid development tools such as Dreamweaver is useful when looking at alternative solutions.

Secondly, I'd emphasise the importance of knowing the fundamentals of web design and development. I'd liken it to mathematics: students are taught the fundamentals of algebra and calculus, even though in the practical world we all whip out graphics calculators. The underlying fundamentals of web design are important in understanding how CMSes work, why they work in certain ways, and how they can be improved. If you try to work out XHTML layout or AJAX by jumping into the source code for Joomla or Drupal you're making things much harder for yourself than by building simple pages from scratch.

So, while I would absolutely encourage the inclusion of CMSes such as Joomla and Drupal in a curriculum, I would suggests to teachers who are using Frontpage and Dreamweaver as teaching tools to continue to do so (well, if you're using Frontpage, consider switching to Dreamweaver). By all means introduce CMSes as a great way to rapidly develop powerful and customisable data-driven sites, but don't do so at the expense of ignoring the basic skills of hand-coded XHTML and page design in a WYSIWYG editor.

My two cents as someone with experience in industry developing content-driven sites using both CMS and custom systems. :)

Cheers,

---
Gavin Ballard
VITTA Project Officer