[Year 12 IT Apps] Unit 3 O2 Resources

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 07:59:53 EST 2009

Yes, the role of traditional web design and management tools has changed
significantly as CMS applications are almost essential for any decent-sized
website.

It's also worth noting that Microsoft retires mainstream support for
FrontPage 2030 on 14 April 2009, so in effect it becomes a legacy package.
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=2514

I guess the change is pretty much what happened to hand coding HTML in a
text editor when WYSIWYG web tools came on the market - the need for the
"old" approach doesn't disappear, but the bulk of users probably find the
new tools more relevant.

It is probably worth pointing out that every student can have their own CMS
to carry with them if you use the MoWES MObile WEb Server
http://www.chsoftware.net/en/useware/mowes/mowes.htm . This lets you choose
a set of components and bundles them up for you with an installer, and you
can then expand it all out onto a USB drive. It includes Apache,. PHP, MySQL
as supporting infrastructure, on top of which you can select Drupal. Joomla,
Moodle, Mambo, Wordpress etc.

The whole thing once installed (which is a simple click-through deal) runs
totally from a USB drive and can thus be used on any computer. The student's
data (web site, Moodle installation etc) also lives on the USB drive. The
student can fully administer a server appllication that is identical to
those often used commercially, without risking ANY school infrastructure.
The kids own the USB drive as well so it's not even costing the school for
storage and backup.

I use MoWes for developing Moodle themes and testing courses - I can't risk
doing this on a live work server and it's far quicker to play with the CSS
etc and make edits on a USB stick until things are as they need to be, then
give the IT Services people a tested set of files to upload to production
servers. I label my USB drive "Moodle on a stick" which amuses some people.

Oh yeah, MoWes is free.

Ken

--
Dr Ken Price MACS ACCE Professional Associate.
President, TASITE