[Year 12 IT Apps] OT Internet Access

Paul Williamson paulw at huntingtower.vic.edu.au
Wed Feb 13 00:05:24 EST 2008

Hi,

Our students are fairly restricted in terms of internet access. There
are black lists and white lists, and then all text content on pages they
are downloading is reviewed before they are permitted to browse it. They
also have a daily quota limit of 40mb for normal students or 70mb for
media students and additional quota after hours for boarding students.

Staff on the other hand used to have complete open access to everything.
Then I had to bring in a daily limit of 400mb just to stop 1 or 2 staff
members from growing our internet bill immensely!

Recently I brought in a new rule which scans the content of pages that
staff are browsing to and if anything 'suspect' is detected it will
provide a warning page before allowing the staff member to view the
site. They can click Continue and go to the website if they are sure it
is ok.
This has been implemented to protect staff from accidentally browsing to
inappropriate websites and has been quite successful. There are quite a
number of websites out there with well known business names that are not
related to that business at all and can bring up embarrassing images.

Paul Williamson
ICT Manager
Huntingtower School