[Year 12 IT Apps] RE: Disabling student web access

Robyn Dunn robyn at camhigh.vic.edu.au
Wed Apr 30 14:16:22 EST 2008

Couldn't agree more Ros. It comes down to class room management. I've used the old textbook trick myself.

Ms Robyn Dunn
Director of elearning
Camberwell High School
email: du at camhigh.vic.edu.au
phone: 98360555
fax: 98360194
Please consider carefully before printing this email.

>>> "Meadows, Roslyn M" <Meadows.Roslyn.M at edumail.vic.gov.au> 30/04/2008 1:00 pm >>>
Personally I have found that students can become distracted by other
applications (eg Paint, Flash, Gamemaker) as well as the Internet.

So I find the best strategy is to:

1.       Warn them all that if they are doing anything which is not
related to the set task they will be removed from the computer and made
to do written work.

2.       Keep a good eye on all students and what they are doing.

3.       If students are distracting themselves in any way remove them
and give them written work (questions out of an old IT text are fun!!)

I find that once I have removed a couple of kids from their computers at
the beginning of the year the problem never surfaces again. They would
prefer to work on database, spreadsheets or anything on the computer
rather than have to sit and handwrite answers to questions. But it does
take diligence, you need to be aware of what they are doing on the
computers, and this cannot be achieved from a position at the front of
the room.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ros

Roslyn Meadows
Head of ICT Implementation

Head of Assessment and Reporting
Bentleigh Secondary College

| 9579 1044 | 0412 614 062 |

There are three ways of being dead - heart dead, brain dead, and not
being able to connect to the internet!