[Year 12 IT Apps] IT applications 2007 exam: assessor's report

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Tue Apr 22 13:14:31 EST 2008

'Validating' spelling seems to be an increasingly prickly and tricky issue.

Firstly the new study design has thrown out the Information Processing
Cycle, so we don't stress acquisition and validation as we used to in
IPM (and maybe IS).

Secondly, names of suburbs are quite a different beast to people's names.

Suburb names are codified and regulated and can be put in limited list
(albeit one that needs editing as time goes by). So, they could be
validated by existence, data type, and existence in a limited list.

Human names, however, can never be put in a limited list and could only
be validated by existence, and data type.

Hmmm. This might be an interesting research project.