[Year 12 IT Apps] POSTCARD VIRUS ALERT...Kent B.

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Sun Apr 6 16:12:56 EST 2008

Hmmm.  I always ignore email warnings about virus threats - especially
the quaint 1980s versions that threaten destruction of hard disks.

Most modern viruses (usually they are worms rather than viruses) are
purely criminal attempts to install rootkits, trojans and/or keyloggers
to gain passwords and bank account information, or to create a zombie
for DDOS attacks or spam serving.

Often what the hoax "virus" intends is just to waste time and email
bandwidth - or worse...  e.g. http://vil.mcafee.com/hoax.asp

Kent Beveridge wrote:
> I just received from a colleague a message about a virus that may circulate shortly. It is about a POSTCARD and is along the lines of 'you have just received a POSTCARD ' from whoever..
>
> Apparently this is a nasty piece of work that, when opened, will burn your hard drive (now to what extent and where it is sent I do not know).
>
> Advise all who get this 'postcard' to delete WITHOUT OPENING.
>
> You have been warned!
> Pass this info on to your contacts.
>
> This info has come from a trusted source.
>
> Kent.
>
> Kent Beveridge,
> I.T. co-ordinator
> St. Brigids Catholic Sec. College
> Horsham
> email.. kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au

Direct line: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax   +613 9578 9253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

Moderator: ITA Mailing List

Some days you're the pigeon.  Some days you're the statue.