[Year 12 IT Apps] What Future IT? (Charmaine Taylor)

Keith Richardson keithcr at fastmail.fm
Thu Sep 27 15:14:09 EST 2007

Charmaine - your voice is like music in my ears! "...from the point of
view of the problem to be solved..." is the secret to highly motivated
behaviour across all subject areas, not just computing.
Here is a specific example that will make my point:
I tried an interesting parallel experiment with my two Yr 7 science
classes.
With the first I designed a logical series of practical experiments
involving measurement, mathematical calculations, graphing of results
all investigating the operation of levers. I thought the design was
fantastic, but the kids did not get involved at all. "Boring!" was their
verdict.
With the second class, I showed them a desktop-trebuchet I had made and
challenged them to design and build one themselves that would throw a
small rubber ring over 3 metres. They were given a period and heaps of
equipment to select from. Periodically I stopped them to discuss safety
telling them that over the centuries of use many trebuchet operators
were killed, and I did not want to add to the number here! The classes
enthusiasm was staggering, and I enjoyed watching them make mistake
after mistake but edging towards success as they worked at making a
LEVER solve this problem for them. I guarantee that their instinctive
understanding of how to make use of a lever will stay with them for
life, and many of them will make actual use of this wisdom in the
future.

So, Charmaine, I agree with you.

Regards, Keith
Keith Richardson