[Year 12 IT Apps] What Future IT?

Laurie Savage sav at pvgc.vic.edu.au
Thu Sep 27 12:12:38 EST 2007

We had a representative from a South Melbourne IT training collge
speak to our students. She painted such a rosy picture that I
felt like signing up then and there. She was enthusiastic and
entertaining. Three girls out of fourty put their names down for
a further interview - and none of them followed up despite her
ringing them personally.

Laurie

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 05:23:29PM +1000, Keith Richardson mentioned:
> I have read with interest the many contributions to this ongoing
> discussion.
> The REAL situation out there in the workplace...
> One of my sons is a software engineer who has worked in the industry for
> around 10 years.
> They are desperate for skilled and qualified IT system engineers,
> programmers etc. People with the necessary qualifications can almost
> name the salary they want.
> I think that we are all suffering the extended backlash from the
> tech-bubble-bursting. Immediately prior to it, many hopeful
> wannabee-millionaires studied IT, some of whom were really unsuited to
> it either psychologically or intellectually or interest-wise, so some in
> the industry welcomed the clean-out that happened, but it has gone too
> far, and people's memories are long.
> Sorry, these observations are no solution, but I would like to know what
> is going on in the hundreds of brains who would have chosen IT in the
> past, but now are not.
> FACT - there are plenty of good-paying jobs out there for everyone who
> get IT qualifications.
> NEED -  we need to get this message through to all and sundry - career
> advisers, parents, friends & relatives who give ill-informed-advice, and
> the kids themselves.
> Cheers, Keith
> Keith Richardson

Laurie Savage