[Year 12 IT Apps] IT and alternatives..

Kent Beveridge kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au
Mon Sep 24 12:57:38 EST 2007

Here is another reason that I, as an IT teacher primarily, am actively expanding my 'official qualification' base. Having taught both Maths and IT, but not being accredited to take VCE maths, this year for me, has been one of gaining, or trying to at least, post grad quals via online study for Maths. The primary reason is now coming to bear judging by the current thread! It seems that our IT stream is becoming a dying subject. Personally, I think its because of the over complexity of its content, and, an over zealous attempt to 'update' the subject when it has in fact, turned it from a fun subject to more of a dying dinosaur soon for extinction.
Since I still intend to stay in teaching to see my job days out (about 10-15 more years), I guess retraining is the best option. Beats the unemployment line!
With a bit of luck, by christmas, I will be able to offer VCE maths via a national accreditation, unlike my IT, which seems only recognized in Victoria. Those damn politicians and their VIT rego, only being valid for Victoria. This is the ideal situation where a national accreditation makes more sense. I for one, am prepared to travel interstate to teach as I have no attachments, sad but true!
I am also hoping that my TA04 course(again, nationally accredited) will be finished by year end too. This opens up other options also. (Hi Allan!).
Heres the strange bit, a girlfriend a few short years back suggested I should finish my maths qual back then, talk about foresight. Also let an opportunity to do an MIT at Melbourne uni pass by. In hindsight, maybe the MIT might not have been really any use anyway!

Maybe I'll just be a brickies labour, reckon I'm too old to start an apprenticeship now! Or even start a lawn mowing business but unfortunately we need rain for that one!
I spose with private tutoring at least its with people who choose to be there.

My prediction..by 2010, IT is gone! I too am trying the multimedia, programming option but the kids just dont have the attention span or desire to take it further. The parents I am getting the impression too, dont see much value in IT at senior levels. I guess they use it as a time filler pre-VCE years, lucky us(not).
Here's the funny part..who do they alway ask for computing help? Us ITers, yet they are killing us off by their subject(lack of) selection.  Ironically, my school is building 3 new labs due to open next year. Great for junior and middle school, but the VCE IT (SD?) may not get much benefit. Maybe i should just shift my focus, like others, to junior and middle levels as the seniors dont give a rats!.
KB.

Kent Beveridge,
I.T. co-ordinator
St. Brigids Catholic Sec. College
Horsham
email.. kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au

|<3|\|7  b3\/3r1D93 ?  ;-)

Wishes and Eggs, one you make and one you break!  A bit like promises.....
"This email and any attachments may be confidential.  You must not disclose or use the information in this email if you are not the intended recipient.  If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and all copies.  The School does not guarantee that this email is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and my only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not.  The content and opinions in this email are not necessarily those of the School."